Sunday, July 31, 2011

YA Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick

ForgottenIn One Sentence: Read it in one day, 'nuff said.


Amazon Description:
Each night at precisely 4:33 am, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.


Oh boy, did I get sucked into this one! On page one, no less. I've always been curious about people with conditions that might affect how their brain functions (see my review for M.J. Anderson's Ultraviolet). I don't mean I look at them like side-shows, but I do find the workings of our brains fascinating, so this book was right up my alley. I immediately fell in love with London Lane (love the name, as well). She's this normal girl who's also so unique, a great combo. Luke is another one of those great male leads that YA is famous for, but with a quirky side. The high school interactions between every one were very realistic to me. The plot was unexpected, which was great! Patrick went down a route that I totally didn't see coming.


I had this weird feeling when I finished, though. At first, I thought I was disappointed because of the ending, but I realized it was really because I wanted more. More London, more Luke, more notes, more secrets, just MORE.


So I guess, the only real complaint I have is that I don't think the cover lives up to the book.


At times, this book was heartbreaking, other times it gave me hope, and yet still, other times I just wanted to turn the page because I couldn't figure out what was going to happen (which is the mark of a great book, in my opinion).


Bottom Line: Note to self: Don't forget to... see if Cat Patrick has a twitter account and, then, stalk it for information on her next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment