Friday, May 27, 2011

YA Review: Jinx by Meg Cabot

JinxIn One Sentence: Nom, nom, nom, I ate it up!

The Lovin': Our main character here is Jean Honeychurch, aka Jinx. She's a teen who's just moved from a small town to the big city of New York to live with her aunt and uncle and their family. "Wait, why is she called Jinx?" you may be asking. Well, it seems that she has always had bad luck and everything she touches gets screwed up.

Anyway, in New York, her once-close cousin turns out to be a mean girl, Jinx gets a crush on her cousin's crush (just her luck), and the mystery of why she left her hometown just won't stay a secret. Oh, and there's a lot of witchy stuff!



So, let me just go ahead and get this out into the open: this is the first book by Meg Cabot that I've read... I KNOW, I know, what's wrong with me, right? Where do I get off calling myself a knowledgeable reader of YA and I've never read Cabot before now. Well, I'm trying to rectify this now, so give me a break. With that out of the way, let me get on to the lovin'.

What great writing! I was totally enamored by Cabot's voice. She really knows how to write young adult! I immediately related to poor, self-effacing, unlucky Jinx. I immediately disliked stuck-up, rich-girl-gone-bad cousin Tory. And I immediately fell head over heels for sweet, guy-next-door Zach.

And then, there were the twists and turns caused by all the witchy stuff. Tory thinks she's some awesome witch, but she's doing it all wrong. Jinx could make a wonderful witch but she's too afraid to tap into her power. One of the things that I really loved was that Cabot must have done her witchy research. She describes being a witch as using your powers for good and always respecting the forces you deal with. Good on you, Meg!

Bottom Line: A great read for YA paranormal/fantasy/contemporary lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment